Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Will you play with me?"

My 6 year old is a social butterfly, she loves to play with her friends and she loves to make new friends and play, play, play.  She is having a hard time with the summer break and having no friends available, since most of her friends are at daycare or off doing summer camps and she is stuck at home.  She's tired of playing with her sister, she wants someone close to her own age or even older.  She really wants to play with me, but unfortunately she wants to play with only me.  She doesn't understand that to leave her 3 year old sister out of the game is unfair.  Not to mention that I'm usually busy with feeding, changing, or holding a baby.  When I'm not doing the above mentioned things I'm usually making a meal, serving a meal or cleaning up after a meal.  When I do get the baby down for her nap, since they tend to be so short I try and take this time to do nothing.  Most days I do take advantage of nap time to get some stuff done around the house but the past couple of days I don't feel like doing much of anything.  When she sees me sitting on my butt, to her it's an opportunity for me to play with her.
"No honey, not right now"
I know it hurts her feelings and I hate that, it makes me sad/guilty.  But I know playing with her will bring an argument, because her younger sister will want to play too (as she has the right to do).  So we will have to alter whatever game my 6 year old wants to play because it's going to be something that younger sister cannot really do, and my 6 year old will be disappointed because she is not getting to play the way it's suppose to/how she wants to play.
I really enjoy going on walks or bike rides with the girls.  We went out the other day with the camera to take pictures on our adventure that was great.  The beach is fun, but I like to have my husband along for extra hands and eyes that are needed with our very brave 3 year old.  I took them to a park with a splash pad and they had a blast (until the &$%# ice cream truck came and all went to ...well that's another blog).  I just don't have any desire to get down and play barbies or pet shop with her. I have a hard time with house to since the whole time she is telling me what to do and what to say.  Should I feel guilty?  I'm not sure?  Pssst....That's why I gave you a sibling.

No comments:

Post a Comment