Monday, August 16, 2010

Two Scoops of Patience

So I wake up in a sleep deprived state after being up several times that night with a baby suffering with a bad cough. My darling 3 year old wants some breakfast so while I stumble around the kitchen trying to get the coffee ready with blurry eyes, she skips over to choose the cereal she would like to have that morning.  

She pulls out the box of Kellogs Raisin Bran and says “I want that one and that one” pointing to the picture on the cover.

“Umhum” was my response, obviously not truly understanding what she was saying.

I pour the cereal into a bowl and turn around to get the milk from the fridge, “No mommy I want that one and that one”, again she points at the box.

“That’s what you have honey, there are lots of raisins in here.”
 

“No mommy!” she shrieks, “I want that one and that one!”

I give up and move on to my coffee preparations since I do not understand what she is talking about and I’m too tired to have any patience for this. She is now sitting on the floor knees pulled up crying, mumbling about that one and that one. So after unsuccessfully trying to understand her again, I end it with pouring the cereal back into the box. She stands up now, with a slight smile (okay, so we are getting somewhere? But we have to move cautiously, we don’t want to wake the monster again.)

“Do you want this now?” I ask calmly, with hope.
 

She again points to the box but this time she is pointing at the top opening “I want some of that and some of that.”

Hallelujah, it all makes sense now. I understand the mind of my three year old. Because you see, there are two scoops of raisins on the cover and in order to get raisins from both scoops you must pour the cereal from both sides of the box. Something every mother should know.


No comments:

Post a Comment