Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ah, the Birthday Party

My oldest girl will be turning 7 in about 6 weeks.  Time to start planning her birthday party.  I've told her it's not going to be a big party this year, she had her big hoopla last year.  I gave her the option of taking a couple of girlfriends to a movie or having a small gathering in our basement, she chose the basement (darn that means more work for me).
I thought this year since she's 7 then maybe she could help me with the party ideas.  I suggested a theme and asked her for ideas on activities, loot bags and such.  WOW! that girl has some imagination and ideas galore, I had to bring her down to reality a few times and steer her more into a reasonable direction.  I'm sure the party will be even more exciting for her since she has been involved in the planning details, although I couldn't imagine her more excited.
Today I was dabbling with my computer and created an invitation for her, can't wait to show her tomorrow and see if she likes it.  She wants a pinata this year so I've started looking for design ideas and will have to get started on that this week so it has time to dry.  The nice thing about the timing of her party is that it's after Hallowe'en so I can easily get small candy to fill a pinata.  I've decided to create a cupcake cake instead of an actual cake it makes it so much easier to serve and what kid doesn't love cupcakes (well, the icing at least).  We'll do snacks since I find most kids are too excited to eat anything so when you try and serve them a meal a lot of food goes to waste.  I think my biggest pitfall with every birthday has been the activities, how to keep a bunch of excited children organized.  I try to have a craft, which works but then some kids are done before others and they start running amok, while others are still busy crafting.  Or you plan on an activity lasting a certain length of time only to have it flop and then your left with a hole of time, and once again the kids are off ...amok, amok, amok, but they don't mind (it's my ears that are ready to explode).  Lots to do and tons of ideas running through my head, luckily I've given myself lots of time to get organized (I hope).
..Just think by the time my baby is turning 7 I'll be able to plan a birthday party blindfolded, hands tied behind my back, and with 2 days notice. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment