Thursday, September 9, 2010

HiHo - It's off to work we go

What happened I remember when my little girl was so eager to help me out.  Much like my 3 year old is now, they want to help do things that really they cannot do.  You try so hard to let them help even though it takes three times as long to complete whatever it is we are trying to do.  But it makes them so happy, it's all worth it (well most of the time).

My 6 year old has only 2 chores, to clean the toy room and to help with the dishes that cannot be washed in the dishwasher.  We started with the toy room, it went well the first week, and it's been downhill ever since.  Then we added helping with the dishes and luckily she has been very helpful with that.  The difference is obvious, she needs mommy's help with the dishes.  So after a huge blow out in trying to convince, bribe, threaten and finally giving up and grounding her for not cleaning the toys up. I had to take another look and direction at chores in our house.  Obviously I did something wrong along the way, because my girls has no concept of money or it's value.

Voila, the chore chart.  I search on the internet for some fun ideas regarding chore charts and come across chorechart.com (yes, that's right there is actually a site named that) and printed off some charts for both girls ( I figure better start earlier with my 3 year old so we don't go through this again).  My girls and I sat down together and decided what chores were appropriate and helpful and filled in the chart.  The girls were both ecstatic and couldn't wait to fill in those spots with stars. Although they are very eager to complete their chores today we'll have to wait and see if it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment